Friday, February 13, 2009

A.R. Rahman wins OSCAR

"If you look deeply enough for a long time in a random set of numbers, you will find some odd pattern in subsets of number." - KRK

It has happened time and again.

Books like 'Freakonomics' , 'Outliers', 'Tipping point' , 'Fooled by randomness', 'Black Swan' etc mention about various events and successfully investigate how they are related. In some of the cases, its a straightforward link and in others its a bit extrapolated inference.

'Hindsight' is an exact science. Its foresight what most people lack.

Today I was again wondering what are the Chances that A.R. Rahman will be awarded the OSCAR.

Before the nominations were announced, I did not think he had any chance. Reason. He is a brilliant composer and many of his works are Top Award worthy. ARR has given better works than SM. But now that SM has made it through to the Top 5 I am sure it will WIN.

Why do I think So? Let me put my case based on a pattern I have seen oft repeated.

In 1992 I was amazed when a Indian, Madhu Sapre, was ranked the second runner up in the Miss Universe event.

I was pleased that some Indian Girl had made it in international beauty contest. There was a sense of pride.

In 1994 another set of Indians Aishwarya Rai and Sushmita Sen won both Miss World and Miss Universe Title respectively.

Subsequently in 2000 again Priyanka Chopra and Lara Dutta won these events.

These two events really had no precedent in India.

But there was a pattern pickup by the Media and some Observant Mind. Too good to resist.

Conspiracy theories floated that India was a market for beauty products and that is why the contests were rigged to award Indian contestants.

Of course this might be far-fetched but once you hear the theory you tend to think.

Its a unique duel of the thoughts in the BRAIN where you want to accept only one version of the event and disregard the other but you cannot do so.

This has happened to me more than once but with experience I have realized Its better to keep a little Trust. I just accept one version of the fact. The other version lies dormant to be awakened one day just in case.

Just about a month back I read 'The White Tiger' by Arvind Adiga.

I did not like the book. It could have been better. But know what it has won the booker prize.

I did not read all the rest of the nominated books but I wonder why nobody this year has written anything better to appeal to the Judges.

So coming back to ARR Nomination following an Indian Winning the Booker Prize, I believe ARR is going to win the OSCAR this year. Of course the composition has won the BAFTA and Golden Globes already.

So Congratulations in Advance to you A.R.R. Sir and hope you have the After Win Speech ready.

Cheerio !!!

No comments: