Monday, January 19, 2009

Never Reveal Your Friends Email Id

 

'I never let schooling interfere my education' - Mark Twain

It was very smart of Mark Twain to mention that when he lived in the pre-internet era.

With new technologies being introduced to our daily lives every now and then it is important for each and every one of us to learn a few new tricks and follow age old wisdom principles.

The thing I am referring to is forwarding Email's.

I always get a few emails frequently which I would like to share with my near and dear ones.

But what bugs me is... with these forwards I get a list of all email ids it has been CC'ed to. What am I supposed to do with it? Nothing. But the thing that scares me is, my email id has been forwarded to one of those CC'ed addresses.

Sh*t.

We have to be very careful with the information we let out. Email ids reveal the names of people we are still interacting with. In the real world we would be careful/diplomatic when two people who scorn each other offline were invited to the same platform. Wisdom here says.. watch your words and interaction.

So whenever I forward, I ensure that I BCC the mail.

Why is that it is not the default feature for forwarded emails is what I fail to understand?

Anyways if you are reading this, please take care not to reveal your friends Email Id to the public domain.

No comments: