Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ganapati Bappa’s Blessings

 

This year 2009, My parents celebrated the 25th anniversary of hosting Lord Ganesha’s Idol as a part of Ganesha Festival celebrated yearly in most part of the world. We host Ganesha for Five days. The Lord is hosted for 1 and 1/2 day, 5 days , 10 days and in some cases 21 days if not retained for a year. For all the hosting days the Celebration is carried out when you have guests trotting in and out visiting Lord’s idol and praying for blessings.

Born in Chennai, Brought up in Mumbai is something which I oft repeat to introduce myself, Ganesha Festivals are a key event in the calendar year for me during which the activities are impressionable.

Of the many names of Lord Ganesha one is ‘Vignaharta’ (Destroyer of Sorrows). You can read more about it here

Being in the ‘Photographic Memory’ time during years till I left for USA, I have great memories of the wonderful time during the festival.

To jot down a few on the top of my mind

  1. All of us decorate the ‘Room’ in which the Lord’s Idol is Hosted throughout the night with ‘Paper Flags’ , ‘Themocol Cuttings’, ‘Light Bulb Decorations’
  2. We never close the ‘Main door’ of our home day or night.
  3. We keep the ‘oil’ lamp flame alive during the duration of the hosting Lord Ganapati.
  4. Our town Roha has often witnessed umpteen floods during monsoon almost every year but it has never occurred during the time of Ganesha festival.

There are other memories of when my dad almost drowned one year, I got smacked when I was jay walking near the river bank during visarjan etc etc.

It is said that the family which plays together stays together. I have experienced and tend to believe ‘The family that PRAYS together Stays together’. I wish even this year I was with my parents to celebrate this festival with them.

Please have a look at the videos which show the dedication with which the whole festival time is being carried out.

     
     

May Lord Ganesha bless one and all with all the Happiness and Peace possible.

Ganapati Bappa Moryaaa !!! Phudchya Varshi Lavkar Yaa !!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: